Lumos Kickstart Lite Helmet has built-in LEDs
The Lumos Kickstart Lite helmet from Lumos is a bike helmet featuring built-in Front and Rear safety LED Lights. The helmet is meant to offer fall protection like any regular bike helmet but has the added benefit of increased rider visibility thanks to the front and rear lights.
- SMART HELMET FOR THE STREETS: we create helmets for prevention and protection. Kickstart is designed for commuter, city, hybrid, recreational, fitness, road, and touring bikes and e-bikes. Suitable for men and women who are cyclists, inline skaters, and rollerbladers.
- BE HIGHLY VISIBLE: 250 lumens of lighting at eye-level with 360 degree visibility, 10 white front LED lights, 16 red rear LED lights, 3 customizable flashing modes with up to 6-hours of rechargeable battery life. Feel a heightened sense of security all the time, and especially at night, knowing that you’re being seen on the roads.
- GET SMART ABOUT PROTECTION: Connect to our App to customize your lights, check battery life, track your activity, sync with Strava and Apple Health, and get the latest upgrades. You’ll be protected by an EPS foam core, impact resistant Polycarbonate shell on a safety-certified helmet: CPSC, F1492, EN1078, AS2063.
- ADJUST TO YOUR COMFORT: turn the dial on our adjustable retention system to get a secure, snug one-size fit on heads from size 21-1/4” to 24” (54cm to 61cm). Keep comfortable with a lightweight, water-resistant design with 22 vents for airflow ventilation
- NOTE: Kickstart Lite does NOT have turn signals and automatic brake lights that are featured on the regular Kickstart.
Page Baker –
The white lights stopped working 3 months after purchase.
I’ve only had it a few days now, so if it takes a dump on me soon, I’ll try and remember to revise this review. So far, so good. The lights aren’t spectacularly bright, but they’re not designed to illuminate the road, instead, they’re there to help drivers see you – which they do quite well. Can’t speak to battery-life yet, but I’ve used it for a few hours in flashing mode and haven’t had to charge it up yet. The design and construction are really quite professional, and it’s pretty light. I fully expect it to be all of these things and more, because it, at $130, is by FAR the most expensive cycling helmet I’ve ever purchased. Get one! Support innovation, and be seen. Ride safe!
Thomas M. –
1st I will say maybe someday I will upgrade to the Lumos Kickstarter regular helmet, this review is on the Lumos Kickstarter Lite ‘Colbut Blue’ (doesn’t have turn signals). This is the best bike helmet I’ve ever owned. I currently own two Giro helmets, one has a visor attachment, the other does not, but is much lighter in weight. By far, this Lumos helmet is awesome, easy to put on and adjust, quite literally I did in less than 30 seconds for a perfect fit. The side has latches to adjust the straps. The back you turn a dial on the rear while wearing to get a snug fit (easy as pie).2nd while wearing people walking and driving see me much sooner, I’ve gotten plenty of compliments on it’s visibility for safety. Too me this helmet is not heavy, weighs the same as my other two bike helmets.3rd the price, well let me put it to you this way, you have one life, you cannot put a price on that. Lastly my only regret, I was expecting this to be heavier than my other helmets, as why I went with the ‘Lite version’…meaning I regret not paying more and buying the regular Lumos Kickstarter with turn signals and stop sensor on rear.Almost forgot…. Today I wore it with solid lights on, which is suppose to last only about 3hrs in this mode. Well, I rode for 2hrs and 40minutes…when I got home, I checked the battery level on the Lumos app, it showed I still has 43 percent left remaining (awesome)….BUY THIS IF YOU RIDE A BIKE…
Christina Anderson –
I bought two of these helmets one for myself and one for my boyfriend. We had a friend who purchased the helmet in the kick starter program and was very happy with her purchase. We are both avid cylists and have had many helmets over the years. For both of us this was an upgrade to protect us on the roads. We love it! the helmet holds a charge to get in two consecutive days of riding. If you see an uptick in sales from Eastern Iowa you can thank us. ( We generally ride 35-50 miles at a time at an average of 15-16 mph). We have both been stopped multiple times asking where we got the helmet. This meets our needs and is well made. You do have to be mindful to make sure the charging cord connects to get the charge ( there is an indicator light to let you know it is connected).
Seems like a great product and idea, but the one size didn’t work for me. Too small.
Drastically increases your visibility at night. Batteries last long, easy to recharge via pc usb. Comfortable to wear. Keeps your head rather warm, so ideal for (dark) winters.
My wife and I have used our helmets for five times. I have some observations. This helmets fit very nicely and are very comfortable. Apparently there is slightly more weight due to the electronics, but they still feel light on my head. Regarding the lights, they don’t add that much conspicuity in daylight, sunlight – although still useful. In these conditions, A bright shirt actually does more for that than the lights. But, on a cloudy day, especially where there is shade, the lights become a lot more useful. In an evening ride on a shaded bike trail, the lights really stand out! Using the fast flashing setting, the batteries held up for a ride that was almost 2 hours. Charging is easy but you have to make sure the polarity is right and that the red indicator light turns on when you plug them in. I cannot find this explained in the manual. We are glad we bought them.